Young Judaea Year Course:

Year Course is a gap year program in Israel for teens who just graduated high school before entering college. Our nine months are divided into three sections. I start off the Year in Bat Yam, just south of Tel Aviv, where we volunteer in the community. In the winter, we head down to the Negev (Israel's desert) hopefully to do outdoor work. Finally, we end the year in Jerusalem studying and also volunteering. Throughout the year, we study hebrew and live in apartments with fellow Year Course participants.

I am participating in the Social Action track of Year Course, traveling to Rwanda for the entire month of February. We are living at a youth village (made by Year Course alumni) working with orphaned children.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Beginning of the End at the Village

Monday was another voting day so we got to sleep in late. Rachel and I walked to the Traditional Art room to see if my earrings were there and lucky me! We continued on our walk to the soccer field and had an interesting discussion about how much or little brainwashing there is in genocide and sadly, genocide is a good community builder. It brings people together for a common bond, if only that energy could be put to something positive.

After lunch and a nap in the sun, I went back to Traditional Art and started making a basket. Hopefully I will get pretty far. Far enough that the basket with be useful at home. I got back to the house and showered. Right before dinner, we had a Culture Club meeting. We decided to scratch performing Build Me Up Buttercup because it is too much to do it all. This was our last rehearsal before the Talent Show Saturday. We did a full run through: Traditional Rwandan dance, Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Cupid Shuffle (American Dance) and finally Amahoro (Rwandan Gospel song.)

After dinner, Anne, the founder of the village, spoke to us during Thorns and Roses. She was incredibly inspiring. We asked her questions, and she asked us questions about the village.

Tuesday
Class B and I
My last day of school :(. I went to breakfast then up to school. A kid or two friended me on Facebook during their I.T. class. In English class, the kids had a test so I just sat there. I asked to take the test too so I could test myself and see what they are being tested on. Apparently, I got a 100%. Tuesday night was our last Family Time so Sarah, the long term volunteer in my Family, was going to go into Rubona and get pineapple at the market but she didn't have the time. I decided I would go a little later with people after Tikkun Olam. The rest of the day I just sat in class because i couldn't help.

After lunch was Tikkun Olam. We brought gardening tools to the clinic to fix up their vegetable garden used for malnaturoused children and mothers. It was hard work but the kids taught us how to use the tools properly. Our time was over at the clinic and thanked Dio, the man who worked with us at the clinic. Off to Rubona for the market. We weren't supposed to go to the market by ourselves so we went, bought what we needed and left quickly. Right as we left the clinic, a SWARM of school kids surrounded the three of us. We locked arms and tried to walk through them, but they moved with us. We couldn't even hear each other talk because the kids were screaming Muzungo too loud.

Family time did not give me the closer that I had hoped for. Two other families came over to support Jen.  We ate my pineapple, gave them the card Talya and I made and left. I hugged everyone in the room but felt uncomfortable saying final words with more than just my family. Thorns and Roses started with half the group crying after their family time. I had to make sure I would go back and get the closer I needed.

Sam, a long term volunteer, came over after our meeting to play Bananagrams. Then bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment