We arrived in Israel at 2:30 AM and were dropped off at our new apartments by 4. We did a bit of unpacking, watched an episode of Glee then went to sleep at 6 AM. Aliza and I got a 3 person bedroom to share it with our friend Emma. We decorated Woke back up at 9 AM, finished unpacking and waited for lunch from Holy Bagel. None of us wanted to hang around and be here when the rest of our YC participants arrived so we went into Jerusalem. We did some shopping, went to a cafe and got things we needed. It was getting cold and we had nothing else to do. We sat down in a cafe to pass time but we were all exhausted, nervous and all around didn't want to be where we were. Some of the girls even began to cry. Every 10 minutes someone else got a phone call from a friend asking why we weren't there and how excited they were to see us. We decided to go back.
We walked back onto campus holding hands, scared. We saw the first few people and we happy but also extremely unhappy. As we saw more people, Aliza and I began to break down and cry as we hugged people. They were so confused why we were crying. Eventually Aliza and I calmed down but got upset again because we needed to vent to each other about how already no one gets it. We had a pizza dinner that I didn't want to eat then a counselor activity. None of us wanted to be there and it is still hard to be here.
Housing:
Two thirds of my section lives on campus and the rest of the section lives in one apartment building 5 minutes away. I live on campus in an apartment with 14 other girls. So far it has been fine, a few snide comments here and there, but nothing major. We will see how the next 3 months go.
The past few days have been orientation and Shabbat. Sunday morning I start volunteering at the archeological dig at Ir David, the volunteer placement I have wanted since before Year Course. I have not heard the best thing about this placement so we will see how it goes.
I'm back to western culture. Hopefully some day soon I'll be back in Africa.
Young Judaea Year Course:
Year Course is a gap year program in Israel for teens who just graduated high school before entering college. Our nine months are divided into three sections. I start off the Year in Bat Yam, just south of Tel Aviv, where we volunteer in the community. In the winter, we head down to the Negev (Israel's desert) hopefully to do outdoor work. Finally, we end the year in Jerusalem studying and also volunteering. Throughout the year, we study hebrew and live in apartments with fellow Year Course participants.
I am participating in the Social Action track of Year Course, traveling to Rwanda for the entire month of February. We are living at a youth village (made by Year Course alumni) working with orphaned children.
No comments:
Post a Comment