Sorry for the almost week long delay. No internet and limited computer access is hard.
Wednesday
Wednesday
I was in school again and helped a lot in English class. The class got an opportunity to ask me some questions and there were two questions which I found interesting.
1. What can Rwandans learn from Americans?
I didn’t know how to answer this question without saying, well, your country is a third world country and mine is one of the most powerful countries in the world. I didn’t want to say that. And culture wise, I happen to really like a lot of aspects of their culture. For example, if they walk into a room, they acknowledge every single person and shake their hand. They are a very family and community oriented culture which I also enjoy.
2. “You said in America everyone is always busy and no time to relax and you said in Rwanda everyone is slow and calm. Do you mean it is better in America because people are always doing things?” That question really took me off guard because that was not my intention to make America sound better, I wanted the opposite. I like that Rwandan culture isn’t always stressed out and always running around. Many American families don’t have time for each other, but in Rwanda, that would never happen. It was hard to describe what I really meant in the simplest way. I hope they understood my point.
For Math, I just sat in class and day dreamed because I couldn't help and History was cancelled so I got to hang out with some of the kids.
I thought lunch yesterday was good. Today it was even better. Instead of potatoes, we had pasta. Yes, pasta with a bit of red sauce and peppers in it. Instead of pineapple there was real yellow banana! If I had just arrived at the village and just started getting used to the food, the pasta would have been bad, BUT, it was the first time I had pasta in 3 weeks and it was glorious!
After lunch was volleyball but instead Rachel and I went to the arts center where we found half the group also skipping their sport.
I didn't go to dinner and instead we watched the lightning over the hills of Rwanda.
Thursday
Because we were all exhausted, we got to sleep in until 9:30 and had work at 10. There was almost nothing for us to do at the work site except bring some bricks from one place to another. We left early but Ariela needed us to move some beds so we carried them on our heads pretending we were African women.
The kids going to the gorillas left at two and that is when the relaxation and party began! There were 6 of us that stayed back, including Talia, so we didn't have to do much. After lunch, we made Ariela a cake, thanks to Dad looking up Ms. Adams pound cake for us, and a challah for Shabbat. In the afternoon, we went to the art center and made cards because it was Ariela's birthday. We also went to Traditional Art and instead of making my newly started basket-to-be, I made it into the second earring that I can't find. I got the metal parts for my earrings and finally finished them, but I stupidly left my favorite earrings that I wear every day in the art room. Hopefully they are still there. At 6 we went back to the house to clean up and get ready to go to the one bar in Rubona for Ariela's birthday.
We left at 8 and walked into Rubona with some of the other volunteers and Ariela.We were shocked at the amount of kids roaming the streets at 8 PM. Of course, they ran out to the street to tell us "good morning" because that it all they know. I was talking to Jared, one of the long term volunteers, he told me there was an article in the New York Times that read "3 year old found wondering the streets on NYC without shoes." in Rwanda, the article would read, "3 year old found at home with shoes." We all had a good laugh.
Instead of stopping right at the bar, we stopped to get some and Rwandan yogurt, it tastes like sour cream. Then to the bar. It was a fun night, we all tried Rwandan beers and Ugandan vodka. We met the head of security in Rubona and the mayor who went around and asked our names and relationship statues. He kind of dropped asking the names after the second person so the only thing the mayor knows about me is that I am single and he wants everyone who is single to marry a Rwandan. We walked home around 11ish and I watched a movie.
Friday
Since there was only 6 of us, we didn't have to work in the morning. We got to sleep in which was much needed especially from watching the movie late the night before. We all hung out in the lounge before walking back to Rubona for the market. At the market, I bought some more traditional African fabric, I bought some yarn-like stuff to make more traditional art. I also got a fun sweater and some mangoes. We had a nice relaxed early lunch of Somosas and a coke. We walked back and had some more free time to relax.
We were invited to Sarah's house for Shabbat so we brought our various books, challah and pineapple. Kate, the assistant director of Year Course, just arrived for the weekend to see what life is like on the village so she also came to Shabbat. The service of Lecha Dodi, a reading from the Jewish Book of Values, and a song was very nice but the fun part started when a bunch of the volunteers began to sing Piano Man and some Bob Dylan.
Sarah wasn't at Shabbat because of a family emergency. I then realized that she is in my family and got a little nervous. I found out later that one of the girls in our family has an older sister outside the village who was just killed from a private moto taxi. Jen, the girl in my family, and Sarah had gone to the hospital in Kigali to see Jen's sister for the last time. It was extremely sad.
The gorilla kids arrived back and it was a bit awkward at first. It was clear each group bonded and had a different fun experience even though one was costing them $800.
Jenna and I went to dinner then everyone else came later for the dance. Again, the dance was incredible even though many of my family members weren't there and if they were, they were sad and didn't want to dance. After the dance was a bonfire with all the volunteers. I got a lot of mosquito bites that night on my ankle.
Saturday
In the morning, we took a nice long walk/hike to the rice patties. On the way back, we stopped in Rubona for some somosas. I ate 5! Later on, I challenged Sam and Jared, two long term volunteers, to a somosa eating contest. They had announced at Shabbat that they both ate 7 somosas. Honestly, that is not a lot for a grown man and here I am, a small little girl that can eat five. The contest is happening next Friday.
Free time in the afternoon and I went to go visit my family, hoping Jen would be back from Kigali. As I left their house, Jen and a few other ASYV staff members were coming out of a van. Jen had a scarf around her head and looked the saddest I have ever seen someone here at this village. I shook her hand to say hello but we didn't let go until we couldn't hold on any more. It isn't fair that she has to go through another traumatic experience so young. She is now the only one left in her biological family.
At 5 we had an educational session about the pursuit of justice. At dinner, I sat with some girls in my family and was given an update on Jen by Sarah. She told me that Jen is doing better and that she is smiling. Her sisters in Family 2 made her lots of cards now posted on the wall next to Jens bed.
The movie Saturday night was not an action movie, thank goodness! It was Disney Channel's Original Movie Camp Rock 2. I don't think the kids enjoyed it as much as action movies because they don't understand what is going on, but I really like it!
Sunday
Another calm morning here at the village. After lunch I had a culture club meeting. The Rwandans taught us a traditional dance that we could barley figure out and we taught them Build Me Up Buttercup and the dance to the Cupid Shuffle.
Around 4:30, Talya and I made Jen a nice card and brought it over to her. Although she was still so sad and her voice was gone because of all the crying she had done, it was still nice to see her and see her smile a little and laugh a little. Hopefully by Tuesday, our last Family Time, she will be better enough to have fun with us and enjoy our last scheduled time together.
Dinner then Thorns and Roses. Jenna M.'s family is here so her brother and two cousins came to join us. Then the woman of the village came, Anne Hyman, Jenna's mom, who started the village a few years ago. I hope we get the opportunity to talk to her and get to know her a little bit before we leave the village.
Monday is another holiday meaning no plans for the morning. Stay tuned for the final week here at Agahozo Shalom Youth Village and Rwanda.
Hi Tamar - What a tragedy about Jen's sister. Please tell her we are thinking of her here in the US even though we've never met.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious to hear what you ended up saying to the class in response to their questions comparing the US and Rwanda.
Can't believe one week left...
And can't wait to see the beautiful fabrics you bought!
love mom