Today was the first day according to the weekly schedules, so we were split up for most of the day.
I, along with everyone else, woke up very sore from yesterdays work. When we got to the building site, we noticed to major differences that the workers had accomplished after we left yesterday. The rock foundation was built up quite nicely. Ido, the Israeli volunteer in charge of the construction at the village, told us we would be doing a bit of the same work as yesterday and hopefully we will finish the day with the start of the bricks. Around 10ish, the Rwandan head of construction asked us to start bringing bricks to the perimeter of the building! We are ahead of schedule, but already at that point we had exponentially slowed down by walking and lifting slower but also taking more breaks. Even though our bodies have been in serious pain all day, we still could have some interesting discussions.
Discussion One:
Would you consider us LIVING in Rwanda? What constitutes living in a place? After most people disagreeing with me and a lot of back and forth of opinions we came to a semi-conclusion about how to define whether or not you are living in a place.
1) time, although not very important. You can visit and tour a place for longer than you have lived somewhere
2) how integrated you are into society/community
3) (semi) permanent residence- have you fully unpacked? do you sleep in one bed for an extended period of time? would you say, "i need to quickly go home and get my hat" or, "i need to quickly go to the guest house and get my hat"
4) possibly the most important- your own personal option. do you feel you are living here or just a tourist?
Discussion Two:
This conversation was more of a heated discussion. It started off because one of the girls started giving the workers water from a big jug of water that was for us volunteers. Then she even went on to give a woman outside the village water through a fence. Her intentions were very understandable but there is a thin line between how we are helping. She also made a good point about the fact that we have extra water so why not give it to people who need it. But this is where we all disagreed with her:
1) We don't have enough water for everyone and everyone to have enough water. The workers are used to not eating or drinking or even taking a break all day. If we start giving them water, their bodies will become used to it and start to need it more, then what happens once we leave and can't provide water for them anymore.
2) Its not our water, its the villages water and they were nice enough to give us extra in case we finished our water earlier.
3) If we give the workers water every day they are going to become reliant on us and keep asking for more, especially the people from outside the village.
I think it is sad and horrible that they don't have water every day and that I feel its worse and unhelpful if we do give them water, but I think the consequences of giving them water are worse than if we do give them a little bit each. The debate ended by Talia, our program director, telling the girl she shouldn't give the workers or anyone water.
After lunch I had some free time until 4:30 when Tanya and I went to the science center to help out with whatever is needed. We sat sorting little science pieces/tools (donated from a man from Newton!!) with a year long volunteer named Sam who just graduated from Harvard then came to Rwanda. We also got a chance to talk with some of the other volunteers and learn how they ended up in the village for a year.
Dinner came and went, but, sadly, I still can't find my family to sit with them at meals! I don't remember their names and I barley remember what they look like. Hopefully I will find them tomorrow.
The day ended with "Thorns and Roses" as usual. I talked about how sore I was today and am unsure how much physical labor I will be able to do tomorrow and also mentioned how fun it was to get to know some of the other volunteers at the science center.
Tomorrow is Friday and also Shabbat. I signed up to make Challah, which I am VERY excited for. In the evening there is Kabbalat Shabbat for the volunteers which will also be amazing. Before dinner, the village has an activity called "Village Time" when they present various things they did or made in the clubs they participate in. Also, after dinner is a big celebration with music and dancing. Each week the celebration has a new theme. I am also very excited for that. I think tomorrow is going to be a good day.
Shabbat Shalom from Agahozo Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda!
Young Judaea Year Course:
Year Course is a gap year program in Israel for teens who just graduated high school before entering college. Our nine months are divided into three sections. I start off the Year in Bat Yam, just south of Tel Aviv, where we volunteer in the community. In the winter, we head down to the Negev (Israel's desert) hopefully to do outdoor work. Finally, we end the year in Jerusalem studying and also volunteering. Throughout the year, we study hebrew and live in apartments with fellow Year Course participants.
I am participating in the Social Action track of Year Course, traveling to Rwanda for the entire month of February. We are living at a youth village (made by Year Course alumni) working with orphaned children.
hi Tamari - I'm so glad you're writing so often! It's wonderful to hear details about your experience - especially in a country that no one else in your family has visited!
ReplyDeletelove mom