Young Judaea Year Course:

Year Course is a gap year program in Israel for teens who just graduated high school before entering college. Our nine months are divided into three sections. I start off the Year in Bat Yam, just south of Tel Aviv, where we volunteer in the community. In the winter, we head down to the Negev (Israel's desert) hopefully to do outdoor work. Finally, we end the year in Jerusalem studying and also volunteering. Throughout the year, we study hebrew and live in apartments with fellow Year Course participants.

I am participating in the Social Action track of Year Course, traveling to Rwanda for the entire month of February. We are living at a youth village (made by Year Course alumni) working with orphaned children.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Yom Yom Yom

The holidays of national pride has begun. Sunday we had normal volunteering and Ulpan. Year Course, classically, changed the time of Ulpan half an hour earlier but told us five minutes after it was supposed to start. Good job Year Course. But other than that, the day was good. I wrote on the pottery again at the archeological dig, still very difficult but I am getting better.

My service learning teacher knew he was going to be away so everyone who I volunteer with and I went to the national Yom HaZikaron ceremony. It took place on Ammunition Hill, one of the hardest hills to conquer during the Six Day War in 1967. Again, just like the national Yom HaShoah ceremony, everyone important in Israel was there. Although it was all in Hebrew, the ceremony was still powerful. We were the only kids there representing Year Course and all of Masa, a pretty big deal!
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
at the national Yom HaZikaron ceremony.

The ceremony ended by dinner time so we all ate the packed dinner of PB and J. Just about an hour later, the rest of our section along with many Masa participants came to the same spot for the Masa ceremony. This time, the ceremony was in English, thankfully, but not as powerful as I had hoped. They showed videos of some fallen soldiers and their stories, played some music, stood silently for the national siren, and sang HaTikvah. I've never felt so moved by a song. I get chills over my body whenever I sing that song now, either at a sporting event, a memorial event or a celebratory event.

Oren Middle Apartment
My apartment-mates rushed out of the Masa ceremony and caught a cab fast to get home. Just that day we found out Danielle, a girl in our apartment, will be going back to America because her grandmother is very sick. Since there is only three weeks left of year course, she is probably not coming back. We bought lots of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, devoured in minutes, for some apartment time. We put some music on and it became such a teen movie slumber party. We danced and finally felt like a family. The sugar high went on for a bit then realized it was Yom HaZikaron (and our counselor rushed it because we were way too loud) and calmed down. Before I came into this apartment, I was terrified of living with 14 other girls, but after that night I am very glad I was put here. We were finally like a family. 

Monday:
At 8:30 in the morning we left to go to Mt. Hertzl, the national burial site for soldiers fallen in battle. When we first got there, Ilyssa and I helped other youth groups hand out flowers to put on graves. Other kids also handed out water. We headed in and took some extra flowers with us to place on graves whose family could not come and visit them. We walked around, almost in silence. Hundreds of families, friends and soldiers were paying their respect to their young loved ones. Twenty two thousand, eight hundred sixty seven soldiers have given their life for the State of Israel. Ilyssa and I met up with Zach and Yael to find a perfect spot for the national siren at 11 AM. We stood with families and friends of loved ones who had fallen in the Six Day War. The two minute silence was louder than words while the intensity of the sadness overcame us. Every few seconds there would be a sniffle or two until tears strolled down my eyes. How could I cry when I don't even know the feeling of a lost loved one? Hundreds, maybe even thousands of people are at this one cemetery because they know people that have been killed. They can tell stories about them and remember their faces. I'm just a spectator. This awe I have for the people that sacrificed their lives for me to be able to have a State and be safe here and inspired me even more to make Aliyah and give back to my country.

We went to Michael Levin's grave. He was an American who loved Israel, just like myself, did USY, went on Alexander Muss High School in Israel, took a gap year in Israel (Nativ) then finally joined the army. He was on leave from the army and in America when the Second Lebanon War in 2006 broke out and immediately rushed back home to Israel to fight. He died in battle and became a major icon for lone soldiers making aliyah in Israel. We talked to his mother and told her how he has inspired us to love Israel more and appreciate everything we have. Michael died in 2006. There was another section of plots behind his, and the saddest part is, there is a land of open grass that will be filled in time.

It was lunchtime so Zach and I caught a bus, bought some Aroma then headed back to campus. At four, we had a Year Course little ceremony. They told us other stories of fallen soldiers then went outside for a discussion. We talked about Memorial Day in America and how it is a day for sales. We do nothing about respecting the soldiers who have died for America on Memorial Day.

Sarit Hadad
The rest of the afternoon we had free. That night started Yom HaAtzmaut, a fast change from one of the saddest days of the year to one of the happiest. A few of us streamed the national ceremony for Israel's 63rd birthday! They had lots of soldiers dancing around making cool shapes. Dinner then a Newton friend, Jacob Liverman, came over and we all went out on the town. Our first stop was the shook party. The shook was packed with Israelis dancing to classic Israeli songs played by a DJ. At 12:30 AM, the party got shut down so we made our way to Ben Yehudah Street and Crack Square, the go to spot for Americans in Jerusalem. On the bottom of Crack Square was Sarit Hadad performing! We were on the move to meet people so I couldn't stay and watch but i still got a picture! Then I ran into two Israeli co counselors from camp! How funny!

Do you remember the Lone Soldier Shabbat dinner I went to in March? I met a kid who was in the army now and had gone to Binghamton. We ran into him while at Mike's Place! We talked for a bit about the army and Binghamton. It was getting late so I went home, getting excited for the next day's activities.

Tuesday:
A Happy Israeli Family
Woke up nice and late to hang out with friends at the Year Course BBQ. Jews are all about food, so we went from one BBQ to another. We were invited to the Lone Soldiers BBQ at a park in Jerusalem. The park was packed of families celebrating Independence Day! I talked to people about making Aliyah and joining the army, everyone else has something new to say. Again, I ran into the Binghamton kid. After a bit of time at the park, we wandered to Ben Yehudah Street because we heard there were festivities there, too. On the way, an Israeli family stopped us and asked if we wanted food. Year Coursers can never refuse food, so we stopped and the family put their extra meet on the grill. I stood in the back of the group so they didn't give me food. Of course, they found me hiding and asked me why I wasn't eating. I told them I was vegetarian so they gave me a few pieces of watermelon and chopped up some vegetables for me. So sweet. No one in America would do that.

We finally arrived at Ben Yehudah St. but there was nothing going on anymore. We went home and hung out for the rest of the night. I've never felt so passionate about making Aliyah and having Israel as my home destination. I love it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment