A normal day of classes.
Thursday:
I didn't have volunteering because the dig didn't work that day. After class, I found out that I, along with 3 other apartment-mates were not invited to a fellow apartment-mate's house in Tel Aviv for the weekend. If I'm not invited, fine, but the problem was that she told the other 10 girls from the apartment not to tell us so my friends lied to my face about their weekend plans. Then she also invited random people she is barley friends with. I was a bit pissed when I found out that she told people to lie to us, definitely not the mature thing to do. But whatever, it's over now.
Thursday night I went out to an American poetry slam contest for my friend Hannah. There was free popcorn and free wine, of course we took advantage of that!! Hannah won first place, by far. As we were walking home, we called some friends to see what they were up to. They told us to come to our own apartment to later find out there was a full party going on, without our approval. There was one girl from our apartment that was there, but she didn't call us or tell us this was happening. Again, not so happy with being excluded from important information. I got tired and went to bed, but it took forever to fall asleep because the kids at my apartment were extremely loud and didn't care what any of us who lived their had to say.
Friday:
| Left to right: Sam, Tali, Maya, Tamar, Stevie, Zach, Meir and Meir's wife. |
Saturday:
The six of us Yavneh kids and the family hung out, ate and sang Shabbat camp songs all day until it was time to say goodbye to a great Shabbat and head back home to my apartment in Baka.
Sunday:
The annual Nakba Day, catastrophe day, celebrated by the Palestinians in Israel prevented me from attending volunteering in the morning, sadly. In the middle of the day, I got another mass text message telling me and other year coursers that we will be off limits from the Old City (and East Jerusalem/volunteering for me) for the week. I'm very upset I won't volunteer at Ir David again on year course because this is our last week of volunteering.
Classes in the afternoon. Went food shopping then hung around.
Monday:
Still not allowed to go to volunteering. At night, Aliza cut my hair. It looks good, but shorter than I want it, but then again, that's why I cut it, so it can be healthier and grow longer.
Tuesday:
Siyur to an Arab Village! We arrived in Abu Gosh, the home of Israel's best hummus, for lunch. The humus was good, I think I've had better, but then again, I'm not in love with hummus. I also got tabule for the first time all year. I always thought tabule was a Middle Eastern food but I rarely see it around.
Our tour guide for the day in Ein Rafa was a British Christian woman who converted to Islam, married and moved to Israel. She translated a lecture by the Imam, the Muslim version of a Rabbi, about Islam. The Imam added how sad and horrible it is that extremists do acts of terror in the name of Islam. He said that they are not true Muslims because they are not practicing the warmth and all loving of Islam. In this class, I've been amazed at how similar Christianity, Judaism and Islam is and how much hatred there is between each religion. The main reason all three religions started was the belief in one god and everything else is just little bits of small details. So how can we fight when we ultimately believe in the same thing?
We listened to the Imam in a mosque, an exciting thing especially since Jews are not allowed into most mosques in Israel. To be respectful, we had to wear a hijab and skirt covering our ankles. It was funny at first so see all the girls COMPLETELY covered up, but it quickly got very uncomfortable. Not only the attire, but us women had to sit behind the men in the mosque as we listened to the Imam. I'm glad I don't have to dress that way or act that way, normally.
Tuesday night, I finally went to the gym. I hadn't gone in so long because I consider the walk to and from volunteering and the work I do at volunteering my exercise.
Wednesday:
We had a normal day of classes. In my God Talk class, I presented my song that I could "see" God in. I presented Either Way by Guster. Look it up, it is a beautiful song. I love Guster a lot!
No comments:
Post a Comment