Young Judaea Year Course:

Year Course is a gap year program in Israel for teens who just graduated high school before entering college. Our nine months are divided into three sections. I start off the Year in Bat Yam, just south of Tel Aviv, where we volunteer in the community. In the winter, we head down to the Negev (Israel's desert) hopefully to do outdoor work. Finally, we end the year in Jerusalem studying and also volunteering. Throughout the year, we study hebrew and live in apartments with fellow Year Course participants.

I am participating in the Social Action track of Year Course, traveling to Rwanda for the entire month of February. We are living at a youth village (made by Year Course alumni) working with orphaned children.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Month One Reflection

After one month down, I feel as though we have not even started, mainly because of all the holiday breaks. A lot of us are still figuring out street names and even who people are within our section. I am still trying to figure out how much money I should give myself to spend each week and how much time I would be doing x, y and z.

But even more so, I don't feel like I have fully experienced Israel, partly because I barely know the language. I know there is just so much to do, and so much time ahead of me, but its still only 8 months left and I don't know where to start. We have so much free time every afternoon, but at times it feels like we have no time at all.
I want a personal project to start, like knitting but more productive and not so warm, especially in this heat. After class or volunteering (both ending around 1 or 2ish), I come home and don't know what to do with myself. We've gone to the beach enough and Tel Aviv means temptation for spending lots of money, so I'm stumped for a free, time consuming project.

Once volunteering at the elderly home picks up I will probably have a lot of video editing to do, that will be very time consuming. Speaking of volunteering, yesterday we did absolutely nothing, BUT we did find out that two counselors are willing to translate for us! Tomorrow (Tuesday) we are going to the activity center to set up a schedule with them. Hopefully we will begin to video next week!


Other things going on:

The weather is starting to cool down, I wore a quarter length cardigan today! I also slept fine last night without a fan on me (and I still used my blanket). That is a big deal in Bat Yam.

I really want to go skydiving so the Noy, Israeli living with me, called the skydiving place to ask their prices. This specific place, just 20 minutes outside of Haifa on the coast, is one of the most beautiful places to skydive in the world. For those who might be worried- no need, because I am not a certified diver, I have to have a professional strapped to my back so I am nice and safe. The price for a video of me diving and diving cost over $500...RIDICULOUS. I also looked up other places in Israel and found a place for almost $400- not as bad. I also checked to see what the prices are like in the States to compare it to. A place on Cape Cod was over $300. Still a lot of money. Therefore, I have decided to lower my monthly allowance in order to save up for the really nice place in the spring and it will be my birthday present to myself. A pretty good gift I would say, no?

One of my friends got dread-locks and she inspired me to get one. I think I am going to get it next week but it won't be very noticeable, just kinda fun to have.

Ulpan: I got the quiz back from the other week and I did very well! Next quiz: Wednesday

Until next time,

Tamar

No comments:

Post a Comment