Here is how my week went:
Sunday:
We didn't go to the elderly home because we need our counselor to come and translate for us. Sadly, another wasted meeting.
Later that day we cleaned and were told we had to move the next day.
Monday:
A normal day in classes.
| Candy at the shook in Tel Aviv |
Tuesday:
Again, we did not go to the elderly home, but we did make a major decision. We decided against making the video because we were not going to be part of the process, except the technology stuff, and we had very little time for the amount that wants to get done. Instead, we plan on just volunteering there, getting to know the people, and maybe once or twice a week, one person will just tell us their story without a camera (and of course we will have to have someone translate for us).
In the afternoon, I went into Tel Aviv to meet my roommate, Ilyssa, to do a little shopping. It was a fun day. Israeli dance was that night followed by programming done by Year Course staff. We talked about stereotypes we have for Israelis and what we think Israelis have for us Americans then we had a small meditation session.
Wednesday:
I had a big test on the entire first book in Hebrew class and got it back the same day. I very proud of my myself! In Zionism, we moved onto our next unit, the Israeli-Arab Conflict. Some people in the class have never had an opportunity to study the history of it, so I am looking forward to the discussions. The roommates and I got home fast to quickly pack and move out by 2 PM. Yael (one of my roommates) had her dad come and help us move because he had just arrived in Israel for business and came to visit Yael.
That night, the Tzofim planned a Beer Pong Tournament outside next to what we call "the ulpan." It wasn't much fun since I don't like beer. Then all of a sudden two cops show up. The party got broken up because it is illegal to drink in public after 9 PM.
For the weekend (half of Friday and Shabbat), I was having trouble deciding what to do. My original plan was to see a USY friend who is also in Israel to celebrate her birthday. Once that fell through, I planned on hiking up north with some friends, but once I heard Yael's dad was in town, I decided to stay back and spend time with the room and the two of them. I was hesitant to stay home because I was home the weekend before and I wanted to go out and do something. Around one AM Wednesday night, two friends convinced me to go hiking with them. I went back to Livorno 11 to pack more things since the hike is a water hike. I began to get excited even though I had already done the hike on a previous program.
Thursday:
Thursdays are our trip days. Ready at 7 AM, we took a bus up to Haifa for a beautiful, but difficult, hike. I was in front for the most of it with my friend Alice. Half way through the hike, Alice jumped off a rock and landed on her foot the wrong way. I stayed in the back with her from then on to give her an extra hand as she limped for the rest of the hike. Thursday night we stayed at a local school and had a late dinner. With a few friends, I walked to the beach for an evening activity. We never made it to the beach, we found an awesome playground instead. We spent about an hour there then headed home to sleep.
Friday:
We woke up in time to be ready for the kids to arrive and do their morning line up then headed to the Aaronson Museum about a family fighting against the Turks to give the land to the British back before the State was created. Next was a garden named after Rothchild, a famous figure in Israel's establishment.
![]() |
| An arial view of the Nahalal Moshav |
The moshav was the first moshav in Israel, established 1921! It also was made up in a circle. Everyone lives around the circle and behind their houses are their own farms. The home where we stayed raised cows to sell to a slaughter house.
Saturday:
We decided not to sleep in too late because we wanted a full day of adventures. We called their neighbor who offered to take us on a tractor ride. We rode around the moshav and learned all about it. We had a yummy lunch at his house then his family took us to the moshav cemetery with an incredible view of the circle moshav. Also buried at the moshav is the first Israeli astronaut, obviously very close to my heart. We went back to our host family, took a nice nap then he took us on a drive on his 4 by 4. We all got a chance to drive. He took us to a beautiful overlook next to the cemetery where he made us Turkish Coffee (which got me very excited, I'll explain soon). I wish I like coffee, although it was good with a lot of sugar added! At 5:30, we caught a bus straight back to Tel Aviv from the Moshav. Last night I went back to Livorno 11 to get clothing and other things I need for the week ahead. We still didn't have food.
| Helen and Jared holding almonds that we just picked from the tree |
Sunday/Today:
I am currently sitting in Aroma Expresso Bar. My volunteering got cancelled because we can't go to the home for some reason. I am doing some work on the internet because the internet is horrible back at the apartment. As of right now, it 11:35 and Aroma is packed, so much so that an old Russian couple sat with me at my table cause there are an extra two seats. Later today, we have an information session on Arad! That means Arad is coming up soon (1.5 months away, we are half way through Bat Yam), sad but exciting.
Other big news:
I had a discussion with Mom and Dad about skydiving and we concluded that over $500 for a dive is not worth the money, especially because I have a better opportunity, flying to Istanbul, Turkey for the weekend to meet up with EG. Wednesday after I moved, I got permission from Year Course and that night I booked flights. I am meeting EG on Thursday November 4th at the Turkish Airport at 8:30 (I get in at 5:30 so I will have to wait a little for him). We will spend the weekend there and I will fly back to Israel Sunday November 7th arriving at 1 AM on Monday. I am extremely excited for this trip and can't wait to buy Turkish coffee for my roommates and other fun things!!!!!!!!
I must go now and help a roommate FINALLY food shop.
Til next week,
Tamar

hi Tamar - We LOVE reading about your adventures!! You are really experiencing Israel at its fullest - the community-like feel, the annoyances, unpredictability... Just keep going with the flow!
ReplyDeleteDad and I stayed over at the Martins in Sandwich last night.
love mom xoxoxo