Young Judaea Year Course:

Year Course is a gap year program in Israel for teens who just graduated high school before entering college. Our nine months are divided into three sections. I start off the Year in Bat Yam, just south of Tel Aviv, where we volunteer in the community. In the winter, we head down to the Negev (Israel's desert) hopefully to do outdoor work. Finally, we end the year in Jerusalem studying and also volunteering. Throughout the year, we study hebrew and live in apartments with fellow Year Course participants.

I am participating in the Social Action track of Year Course, traveling to Rwanda for the entire month of February. We are living at a youth village (made by Year Course alumni) working with orphaned children.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Last Few Days of Orientation

Wednesday was another very hot day and most of it was spent outside in the sun. We went to community center for the first time, painted yellow and blue on the outside. After more lectures, the tzofim (Israeli scouts living with us) took us on a tour of Bat Yam. We finished the day with a pool party overlooking the Mediterranean Sea and found out our group names. All of Year Course is divided into three sections and within each section we are divided into two groups. Each group takes Ulpan at the same time and volunteers together on the same project. I am in group Aviv, spring.

Thursday was a big day. We started off the day with our hebrew placement tests. For me, the oral exam went ok. The teacher asked me where I lived and what kind of food I ate. Sadly, she didn't ask me questions that would have been easier for me to answer or that would show my hebrew vocabulary. For the written exam, we had to write in cursive, conjugate, answer questions, etc. I got about half way through the test, which I think is pretty good. I stopped before the paragraph story which I could barely read and understand. Hopefully I'll be put in a class that fits me well.

Later that day was the Year Course opening ceremony. All of Year Course went to Jerusalem wearing our new YC shirts. The ceremony was also broadcasted live on the YC website. After the big ceremony, we all went to the Kotel. It was great to see some of my new friends see the Kotel for the first time because this is their first time in Israel. It was truly a great site to see. Section two got back to Bat Yam around 12:30 and by 1:15, most of us were off on another bus to a near by Kibbutz that has a great club. My roommates and I slept in until about one-ish and just got back from doing a little quick shop at the mall. Shabbat is starting soon and some roommates are now cooking rice as a side dish for shabbat dinner as a section tonight.

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment