Young Judaea Year Course:

Year Course is a gap year program in Israel for teens who just graduated high school before entering college. Our nine months are divided into three sections. I start off the Year in Bat Yam, just south of Tel Aviv, where we volunteer in the community. In the winter, we head down to the Negev (Israel's desert) hopefully to do outdoor work. Finally, we end the year in Jerusalem studying and also volunteering. Throughout the year, we study hebrew and live in apartments with fellow Year Course participants.

I am participating in the Social Action track of Year Course, traveling to Rwanda for the entire month of February. We are living at a youth village (made by Year Course alumni) working with orphaned children.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

3 Weeks Past

Volunteering: The presentation to Year Course Staff went well. They were very impressed with the idea and were very excited for us. They told us that they set up a meeting with us and an elderly home in Bat Yam, which was today. After getting lost, we finally arrived at an adorable elderly home. But this was not like most homes, it wasn't actually a "home." It is open from 9 AM to 1 PM and is an activity center. It is a place for the elderly with physical limitations to have a meal, bathe, do activities (like arts and crafts, singing, games, exercise, etc...), and anything else they might need. The woman we met with was very nice but by the end of the meeting, I was a bit discouraged. She told us, in Hebrew through our counselor, that over 90% of the elderly there don't understand English, can understand Hebrew but can't read or write it. We came to the conclusion that our Hebrew is not nearly good enough and our project would only work if a counselor came with us to help us interview every week (which is hard to do because they have other kids to help too).

Ulpan: We had another quiz last week which I think I did very well on, I'm proud of myself, but I still need to study a lot. I've been making myself flash cards and that is helping me a lot, too. We only had one class this week because of Sukkot break. We had a 3 day week, Sunday through Tuesday.

Zionism Class: Nothing major to talk about.

Tuesday night we had Israeli Dancing class for the first time. The guy was a Black man from St. Luis who made Aliya 3 years ago. He taught us 3 dances; Hafinalie (a very popular dance and the song is a modern Hip Hop song by Subliminal), and two circle dances. One of the circle dances was very difficult, yet hilarious. After a few 8-counts, we would skip in a circle holding hands very quickly, then all of a sudden, we would change directions forcing us all to whip around each other. Everyone sweat a lot that night. I was not feeling that well because I started to get a cold so I went right home instead of going to Erev Tzofim (Israeli Scout night). While we were waiting for the bus, a theory was proven correct. We waited for about 20 minutes for the bus and people were starting to give up, but none of us wanted to leave because the theory is that once we start to walk away from the bus stop, the bus will come and we would miss it. I was fed up with waiting so I looked down the street if any bus was coming then I started to walk. About 23 seconds after I left, I heard everyone yelling and screaming back at the bus stop, I turned around and they were yelling for me to run back because the bus had arrived!!!

Wednesday came and so did Sukkot. Eyal, one of my counselors, invited a bunch of kids over to his parents house in Tel Aviv for dinner. We had a blast, even though there was little food to eat for me. There were three options for the appetizer, and all fish. In the middle of dinner, Eyal's brother brought out shot glasses and a bottle of Jack Daniels, so why not take one shot? We toasted to the holiday and to Eyal's family inviting us all over. It was very difficult to take that shot so my eyes began to water. After that, my face started getting read and everyone started to stare at me. They all claim I was drunk off one shot, but I seriously think i just had the case of the giggles, because once I left to calm down thirty minutes later, I was totally fine. It was very funny because Eyal came over and gave me some water and his parents asked if I had ever been drunk before. It was a fun night.

Right before we left to Eyal's house, a few section one kids came over for a few days (they are living in Jerusalem now) and after we got home, the kids and the roommates and I went out to the beach for a relaxing night, until a few friends peer pressured me into taking a quick dip in the sea in my clothing. Good thing I brought a towel that night.

Sunset on the Bat Yam beach.
We all slept late Thursday then slept more on the beach in the afternoon. We watched the sunset on the beach, had a nice dinner at home then went out to Tel Aviv for a festive evening.


Friday I was invited to a counselor from Alexander Muss High School in Israel for Shabbat with a fellow Muss-er that is also on section two with me. I had to get to Ranana (just North of Tel Aviv, while i am south of Tel Aviv) by myself. I took a bus into Tel Aviv, Allenby street to be exact, to find bus 47. I saw the bus, but I never found the actual stop. So I took a taxi to a bus station (because a taxi to Ranana would have been 120 Sheks!) where I took the 501 to Ranana. I didn't know where to get off so Dena, my counselor, texted me the stop name and I asked the bus driver and sat in the front so he could tell me when to get off. Once I finally got to Ranana, I was so glad to see Dena, it was great to see her again since the last time I saw her was January 09. Friday night we went to shul, but because it was sukkot, the entire city was invited to daven outside next to the city hall center building, right where the bus dropped me off. Right when I got there, I saw a friend who went to my camp for two years and I also saw Maayan Merchant, a long time family friend who used to live in Cambridge. Then Maayan's mom came over and gave me a nice big hug, since the last time I saw her was when EG was on Year Course. After services were over, her dad came over to say hi and didn't even recognize me, it was very funny. Shabbat was very calming, yet fun. Dena's parents are American and their family reminded me a lot of the fun I have with my family back home.
From Left: Ayella (Dena's sister), me, Jenna (fellow Muss participant),
Dena (Muss counselor)

I came home Saturday night and had a relaxing night by watching a movie with a few friends.

Today: I just got back from the elderly home from my meeting. We are doing a mass cleaning then at 4:30, all the girls from the section are coming over for a fun dress-up pot luck!

This week: There are more holidays coming up so again, we have a 3 day week except there are no classes this week. We are volunteering at soup kitchens and doing other activities. Tuesday night is the Tamar Festival (a festival just for me!) next to the Dead Sea. Matisyahu is playing and I plan on attending. Then on Friday through Saturday, the Tzofim are taking us to the North, to the Kinneret (Sea of Galilee) to sleep on the beach next to a water park and hike. It is an expensive jam packed week, but I am looking forward to it!

If you don't have facebook: I have been uploading my photos onto this website for more people to see. Some photos are repeated, I apologize. Here is the link:

http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x427/tgaffincahn/

'Til next time,
-Tamar

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! You sound like you are having a blast!! Fabulous! So what are you going to do about the language barrier with the elderly? And so glad you ran into the Mirchins (not Merchant) - I hope they invite you over sometime! We'll probably see them when we come to Israel. I can't wait to hear you speak Hebrew!
    love
    mom

    ReplyDelete